Cómo funciona JustAnswer:
  • Preguntar a un Experto
    Los expertos tienen muchos conocimientos valiosos y están dispuestos a ayudar en cualquier pregunta. Credenciales confirmadas por una empresa de verificación perteneciente a Fortune 500.
  • Obtener una respuesta profesional
    Por correo electrónico, mensaje de texto o notificación mientras espera en su sitio. Haga preguntas de seguimiento si lo necesita.
  • Garantía de satisfacción plena
    Garantizamos tu satisfacción.
Formule su propia pregunta a Guillermo J....
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Abogado
Categoría: USA Ley en Español
Clientes satisfechos: 111987
Experiencia:  10+ años de experiencia en derecho de inmigracion EE.UU y 8+ años de experiencia en derecho general.
Escriba su pregunta sobre USA Ley en Español aquí...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. está en línea ahora

Hello, my name isXXXXX I came to USA in 1988, i

Esta respuesta ha recibido una valoración:

Hello, my name isXXXXX I came to USA in 1988, i had a work permit and Social Security. I worked in Miami for two years and I payed taxes at that time. In 1990 i found a job in the cruise industry and im doing this job for the last 23 years and I never looked back and never did made the next step on my inmigracion status wich it was the Green Card. Im 47 y/o now. Is there anything i can do to apply for the green card since i have social security?
Thank you much for your time.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name isXXXXX and I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. Believe me that I will try my best to give you a solution if one exists, but sometimes the law does not have a good one. Also, we have been having technical issues lately. If you respond and you do not see your response, please post again until you can see it because if you cannot see it, I cannot see it to respond.

What was the visa that you used to enter the U.S. the last time?
Cliente: escribió hace 4 años.

I entered the Us with B1 B2 visa in 1988 then since 1990 i enten every year with C1-D1 visa as crew member of Carnival Cruise lines I work still for Carnival as photographer

Well, I am not going to have good news for you. The options are very limited. You are currently inside of the U.S. on a C-1/D? You have not overstayed? What ship are you currently working on?
Cliente: escribió hace 4 años.

Im working now on Carnival Glory based in Miami on Sundays, im currently on C1-D visa, i overstayed from 1988 to 1990, at that time i had work permit and original social security

I was on that ship for the 2 day sailing that they did last month. Well, assuming that your overstay does not become a problem later, there are 5 ways to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.


For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.


Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.


Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.


Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.


And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.


Then there are some visas available where you can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if you qualify.

Some of the visas available through employment (if you have a job offer and you qualify) are:

H-1B for professional workers
H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers
H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers
H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available non-immigrant visas:





Many options, but none are really very good. Sorry about that. I have to log off for a bit, but I will be back later.


Now that I have given you an answer, you are allowed to rate me OR ask for additional information. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you rate me positively. Please do not rate me negatively for bad news or things that you may already know. That doesn’t help you or me. I am here to help you and I am on your side. Give me a chance to help you. All you have to do is respond asking for additional information. After you rate positively, a bonus is always appreciated, and I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Please do not log off without rating positively. It is VERY important for me to receive credit since I receive no salary. You are not charged again. If you would like to request me in the future, just type: FOR GUILLERMO on the subject line. Thank you!



Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. y otros otros especialistas en USA Ley en Español están preparados para ayudarle
Cliente: escribió hace 4 años.

yes i was here for those two day cruise to nassau bahamas..it was fun having you here, im one of the photographers onboard, thanks for your help, if is anything you can add please contact me [email protected]